With the Christmas tree lit up, outdoor lights turned on, and the family over for dinner, the entire home is using more electricity than usual, increasing the risk of electrical issues. But not to worry, we’ve got a few things you can do to address the following electrical issues.
The most likely electrical issue homeowners might face during the holidays is electrical overloading. This may occur if many extension cords, appliances, and devices are plugged in simultaneously. Older homes may not be prepared for this demand, causing the circuit to overload. You may need to adjust the location of each device and appliance so that electrical demand is distributed across the entire system, rather than using one circuit.
If this doesn’t help, it’s time for an upgrade to the entire system. Call Tucker Hill to schedule an appointment to discuss what your home needs to meet modern electrical demand.
Lights are more likely to overheat if they’re on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To prevent this issue, turn off the lights before going to sleep or set a timer for the lights to turn off automatically at a set time.
A flickering light may be likely if the bulb isn’t screwed in tightly. In other cases, you may need to replace the bulb. If this doesn’t help, there may be a bad connection caused by wiring issues. Call Tucker Hill for professional electrical service to address wiring problems.
Sparking electrical outlets
An outlet may spark occasionally when plugging in a device. But a persistently sparking outlet may indicate a much more serious problem. A hot outlet may melt away protective coating on the wires, causing electricity to travel through bare wires. This increases the risk of an electrical fire and should be addressed by a professional electrician.
Damaged and frayed wires
Damaged and frayed wires also increase the risk of electrocution and electrical fires, and shouldn’t be used. Safely discard devices with damaged wires and call an electrician for outlets with damaged wiring.
Buzzing sounds and foul odors
An electrical issue may cause outlets to emit a foul or burning odor. If this is the case, call an electrician immediately. If you hear buzzing sounds, call Tucker Hill for professional electrical service.